The COSHH Course (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) is designed to protect people who work with hazardous chemicals. COSHH covers any substance which is hazardous to health with a few exceptions including Lead, Asbestos and Radioactive substances (which each have their own set of specific regulations).
Examples of substances which are hazardous to health would include the following:
Hazardous substances should have packaging with a symbol indicating a hazardous substance.
Germs that can cause disease e.g. leptospirosis or legionnaires disease are also classified under the COSHH regulations.
Duration for the COSHH Course
3 Hours : we are flexible with Start times to accommodate the needs of your business. Please feel free to discuss your timings with us.
Who Should Attend the COSHH Course
COSHH training is relevant to anybody who comes into contact with hazardous substances. The COSHH Course can be delivered directly in your workplace anywhere in London and throughout the UK. Some of the different sectors that may require COSHH training would include:
Course Content for COSHH Course
Introduction to COSHH:
- Definition of what constitutes a hazardous substance under COSHH regulations.
- An explanation of the potential risks from using hazardous substances
- Give some examples of hazardous substances relative to your workplace
- Have an understanding of the importance of Risk assessment in controlling the risks from the use of hazardous substances
- Explanation of legislation COSHH 2002 and also CHIP regulations (Chemicals Hazard and information Packaging) 2005.
- HSE Guidance Notes
- Duties of Employers and Employees under COSHH
- Explanation of the specific health problems which are related to specific hazardous substances
- How hazardous substances can enter the human body.
- Explain the difference between acute and chronic symptoms resulting from long and short term exposure.
Identifying hazardous substances
- Identifying hazardous substances in the workplace
- Understanding of the information on COSHH labels
- Identify the different warning symbols on COSHH labels
- Understand how Safety data sheets are relevant to safety in the workplace
- The importance of Safety Data Sheets in conducting COSHH risk assessments
Controlling hazardous substances
- Definition of the words hazard and risk
- Identify everybody who is potentially at risk in the workplace
- Definition of Control measures and how this is important in managing the risk from hazardous substances
- The hierarchy of Control Measures e.g Elimination, Substitution, Minimising Risk.
- Safe systems of work and PPE
- The responsibilities of Employers and Employees regarding COSHH risk assessments
- The importance or recording any COSHH risk assessments and also Monitoring and reviewing any such assessments.
- An explanation of Health Surveillance.
The training lasts 3 hours.
At the end of this course there will be a written examination.
The cost of COSHH course is £450 plus vat
Each Delegate will receive a certificate of attendance upon successfully completing the course.
Cost for COSHH Training in London and the UK
We are confident that we can offer you a competitive price for all your First Aid Training requirements. Call us directly on 0800 774 7034 and we will be able to discuss your requirements.
Did you know that we can also deliver health and safety awareness training directly in your workplace. The health and safety awareness course is for staff that are exposed to common workplace hazards and who require a basic health and safety awareness course. It is suited to operatives within most industry sectors as it covers a broad range of common workplace hazards.
Any prices which are quoted are exclusive of VAT.